Library of Symbiosis Institute of Technology (SIT) came into existence with the establishment of SIT in 2008. The library occupies a place of pride in SIT and plays a very vital role in provision of learning resources for academics and research. It is the most lively place on the campus providing a comfortable and friendly environment that enables learning and advancement of knowledge, and promotes discovery and scholarship. Library is well equipped with latest information technology tools for information collection, processing and retrieval. The collection of books, journals, e-journals, reports and other reading resources are adequate for not only domain specific resources but for also general resources. Books and other resources are regularly augmented and online access to all premier journals as well as full-text & bibliographic databases available in the field of science, technology and allied subjects are provided to faculty, staff and students. The library uses KOHA, the web centric library management software. It offers a range of services including reference and consultation, membership, circulation, document delivery, resource sharing, information alert, bibliographic and digital library services to the library members. The Library has a team of well qualified personnel to cater to the technological and scientific needs of the institute, supported by an active collection of about 15,000+ documents maintained in a professional way for quick retrieval.
|Sr. No.||Name of the Collection||Number of the Collection|
|Sr. No.||Name of the Collection||Number of the Collection as on May 2020|
|Sr. No.||E-database /Publisher||Subject Area||No. of e-Journals|
|1||IEEE (All-Society Periodicals Package)||Computer Engineering + Computer Science + Electrical and Electronics Engineering + Telecommunications and related disciplines||225|
|2||ASME (American Society of Mechanical Engineering)||Mechanical Engineering||35|
|3||ASCE (American Society of Civil Engineering)||Civil Engineering||39|
|4||Wiley Blackwell||Computer Science + Data System+ Telecommunication and related Discipline||31|
|5||ELSEVIER (Science direct)||Engineering + Computer Science||296|
|6||ASTM DIGITAL LIBRARY (DL) ONLINE VERSION (American Society for Testing and Materials)||Online dictionary of Engineering Science and Technology Electrical & Electronics Engineering Mechanical Engineering, Civil||9|
|7||J-GATE||Engineering and Technology (JET)||20345|
|8||ACM India: Digital Library (Association for computing machinery-Computer Engg.)||Computer Engineering||48|
|Circulation Section||Stacks books which can be issued to the students and staff.|
|Reference Section||The Library maintains a separate reference collection consisting of encyclopedias, dictionaries, handbooks, CD -ROMs, etc.|
|Periodical Section||It`s displays the latest volumes of International and National journals and Magazines.|
|Reading Hall||Spacious and well lit reading hall with 150 seating capacity. The reading space has been provided where students are allowed to carry their personal books however they are not allowed with their personal books into the main reading area of the library.|
|Monday to Friday||09.00 AM. to 05.00 PM|
|Saturday||09.00 AM to 05.00 PM|
|Issue – Return||09:30 A.M. to 04.30 PM|
|During Examinations||09.00 A.M. - 08.00 P.M. ( Monday to Saturday)|
|During Vacation||09.00 A.M. - 05.00 P.M. ( Monday to Saturday)|
GENERAL RULES FOR THE MEMBERS OF THE LIBRARY
The members (Users) of Library are expected to observe the following rules. It shall help the Library in proper and efficient functioning and also it shall help the other members (users) of the Library.
- Every member of the staff must register its library membership by filling the prescribed from.
- The membership of the student shall be registered from the list submitted by the Institutional administrative office.
- Every member of the library will be required to show Identity Card/Library Card provided by the Institute/Library while enjoying the library facilities.
- The library resources (like books, journals, periodicals, CDs, DVDs etc.) shall be issued to the members as per the circulation guidelines of respective institute.
- A member shall be required to return the resource/ book issued to him/ her any time if asked by the library.
- A member shall return/ renew the resource issued to him/ her on or before the due date.
- A member failing to return/ renew the resource within the specific time shall be liable for the payment of Rs. 5 per day per book.
- A member losing the library resource issued to him/ her shall follow the replacement rules as per the circulation policy of SIU.
- A member entering the library shall keep his/ her bags and other belongings at luggage counter on their own responsibility.
- A member shall be allowed to take photocopies of the required contents from the Reference Books / Current Issues of periodicals etc. with the prior permission of library staff.
- A member shall not write upon or damage or mark any signs/ symbols/ remarks on any book belonging to the library.
- A member taking wrong book from the shelf shall keep it on the book trolley or on the nearest table and shall not reshelf himself/ herself.
- A member shall not deface, mark, cut, mutilate or damage library resources in any way. (A person doing so shall be liable for heavy penalty)
- A member shall not be allowed to issue any library resource to anyone else.
- A member/ user may suggest /recommend book(s) which are useful for their study through SIU OPAC. (http://symbiosis-koha.informindia.co.in).
- A member entering the library shall observe all the disciplinary rules of SIU.
- A Member shall observe silence in the library.
- A member is requested to keep his/ her mobile switched off or in silent mode in the Library.
- A member shall not engage in conversation in any part of the library.
- A member leaving the library shall co-operate with the checkout mechanism and the security.
- A member is not allowed to cut any news or part of a newspaper.
- Beverages and eatables are not allowed inside the library.
- No photograph of the Library shall be taken without the prior permission of the Librarian.
- All students shall be allowed in the library decently dressed only as they are allowed in the classrooms.
- The University Librarian/ Library In-Charge reserves the right to suspend the membership of any member found misbehaving, abusing the library staff or behaving in an indecent manner.
There are two types of membership in the SIT Library and the book provides lending services as follows:
- National Digital Library of India, New Delhi :https://ndl.iitkgp.ac.in/
Library will register our student in National Digital Library (NDL). It provides a single-window search facility to access digital contents currently existing in India as well as other digital sources under a single umbrella.
- DELNET :http://delnet.in/
DELNET was started at the India International Centre Library in January 1988 and was registered as a society in 1992. It was initially supported by the National Information System for Science and Technology (NISSAT), Department of Scientific and Industrial Research, Government of India. It was subsequently supported by the National Informatics Centre, Department of Information Technology, Ministry of Communications and Information Technology, Government of India.
- NPTEL Audio/Video Lectures :https://nptel.ac.in/
National Program on Technology Enhanced Learning (NPTEL) Audio/Video lectures facility is available in the Institute. Benefits to students: Have access to 900+ courses of NPTEL – view, download and copy
Get information about upcoming courses
If a mentor is available, get help when required
Be eligible for scholarship and avail DD payment
Use college infrastructure for course access
Be motivated by fellow students, group work
- Current Awareness Service:Information about seminars, workshops, newspaper clippings, articles on various subjects, is made available to users by library.
- New Arrival Alert:Library displays the latest books acquired in the library, for a week, on the display board.
- Net based services: All the notices and information is given through the group mail service of the institute. With the Wi-Fi connectivity in the library, students can easily download required documents.
- Online Public Access Catalogue (OPAC) link: Library members can search the library materials online with availability of reissue for his/her borrowed book.
- Collection on personality development: Library is preparing collection on various subjects like aptitude test, autobiographies, general Knowledge etc. which will help the student to improve their personality.
- Inter Library Loan (ILL): Inter library loan service is provided to Faculty members and students of Symbiosis Institutes located at various places.
- Reading list/ Bibliography compilation: List of available resources in library is there on OPAC under ‘List’ option. Readers can use this to access the resources.
Full Time Faculty
Other Symbiosis Faculty
SIU PhD Scholars
- The normal loan period for books is 30 days. Students can get 6 books issued at a time for 30 days. Furthermore, one time re-issue facility is also available.
- Borrowers have to produce their library cards while borrowing library books.
- No books or library materials may be taken out of the Library until the loan has been recorded. Unauthorized removal of library materials is an offence.
- Current issues of journals/magazines can be used for overnight.
- Readers can borrow back issues of periodical or bound volume.
- Reference books/materials are to be used only in the Library. Audio-visual resources are to be used only in the Library or computer lab.
- Overdue books: Books must be returned by the due date or earlier, if recalled by the Librarian. Failure to return a book by the date specified will be treated as an offence.
- Fine imposed on borrowers for late return of books is Rs.5/-per day per book.
- Loss or damage of books: Students should check the books before issuing them. At the time of return if the books are torn or pages are missing, the borrower will have to make up for the damage. A borrower is allowed to either replace the lost or damaged book or has to pay twice the market price of the book. All books replaced in this manner must be of the latest edition. If the book is one of a set or series, the whole set or series has to be replaced.
Web OPAC link: http://symbiosis-koha.informindia.co.in/
Web OPAC is an Online Public Access Catalogue which allows library users avail the services of the library using Internet. Every library member gets the access of Web OPAC where he/she can check his/her circulation history, recommend new book titles to the library, create own reading list of favourite books etc.
Library members can get the access of all e-resources on library portal. To access these e-resources you should have the login credentials for it. Every year newly admitted student’s registration is done according to their course duration by the librarian. Once the registration is completed members get the access of all e-resources.
Link to Access All Subscribed E-resources: https://siu.edu.in/library/
- Nature Journal
- Web of Science
- End Note
- Research Tool: Question Pro
- Research Tool: Turnitin
- Sage Research Methods (SRM Core)
- Pearson e-books
- Elsevier: Science direct – Management
- Emerald Management E-Journal
- Frost & Sullivan
- E Research
- McGraw Hill Education India eBooks
- South Asia Archive
- Sage Online Collection
- World e Book Library
- Money Life Online Magazine Subscription
- IEEE (All-Society Periodicals Package)
- ASME (American Society of Mechanical Engineering)
- ASCE (American Society of Civil Engineering)
- Wiley Blackwell
- ELSEVIER (Science direct)
- ASTM DIGITAL LIBRARY (DL) ONLINE VERSION (American Society for Testing and Materials)
- ACM India: Digital Library (Association for computing machinery-Computer Engg.)
|Name of the staff||Date of joining||Designation||Qualification||Image (photo)|
|Mr. Mandar Thipse||July 01, 2000||Library Assistant||B.A., B.L.I.Sc.|
|Mr. Niliesh Mankar||September 02, 2013||Library Assistant||B.A., M.L.I.Sc.|
|Mr. Atul Shinde||April 10, 2008||Library Assistant||B.Com. M.L.I.Sc.|
|Mr. Vinay M. Shaligram||September, 15 2021||Library In-charge||M.A., M.Lib & I.sc.|
|Mrs. Vinita Jain||March,22 2022||Library Assistant||M.A., M.Lib & I.sc.|
Symbiosis Institute of Technology,
Symbiosis Knowledge Village,
Gram: Lavale, Tal.: Mulshi,
Dist.: Pune - 412115 (O) # 020-28116422
Email : email@example.com
Useful Links :
Click here https://www.inflibnet.ac.in/
To establish INFLIBNET: Information and Library Network a computer communication network for linking libraries and information centres in universities, deemed to be universities, colleges, UGC information centres, institutions of national importance and R & D institutions, etc. avoiding duplication of efforts. Build and strengthen ICT infrastructure in educational institutions with value-added services.
Click here https://shodhgangotri.inflibnet.ac.in/
Under the initiative called “ShodhGangotri”, research scholars / research supervisors in universities are requested to deposit electronic version of approved synopsis submitted by research scholars to the universities for registering themselves for the Ph.D programme. The repository on one hand, would reveal the trends and directions of research being conducted in Indian universities, on the other hand it would avoid duplication of research. Synopsis in “ShodhGangotri” would later be mapped to full-text theses in "ShodhGanga". As such, once the full-text thesis is submitted for a synopsis, a link to the full-text theses would be provided from ShodhGangotri to "ShodhGanga"
Click here https://shodhganga.inflibnet.ac.in/
"Shodhganga" is the name coined to denote digital repository of Indian Electronic Theses and Dissertations set-up by the INFLIBNET Centre. The Shodhganga@INFLIBNET is set-up using an open source digital repository software called DSpace developed by MIT (Massachusetts Institute of Technology) in partnership between Hewlett- Packard (HP). The DSpace uses internationally recognized protocols and interoperability standards. Shodhganga provides a platform for research scholars to deposit their Ph.D. theses and make it available to the entire scholarly community in open access. The repository has the ability to capture, index, store, disseminate and preserve ETDs (Electronic Theses and Dissertations) submitted by the researchers.
The South Asia Archive:
The South Asia Archive provides an extensive resource for students and scholars across the humanities and social sciences.
Click here https://swayam.gov.in/
SWAYAM is a program initiated by Government of India and designed to achieve the three cardinal principles of Education Policy viz., access, equity and quality. This is done through an indigenous developed IT platform that facilitates hosting of all the courses, taught in classrooms from 9th class till post-graduation to be accessed by anyone, anywhere at any time.
Sugamya Pustakalaya is a collaborative effort of several organizations to end the book famine faced by people with print disabilities. DAISY Forum of India is a consortium of Not for Profit organizations from India who are involved in production and distribution of books and reading material in accessible formats for persons who cannot read normal print due to visual, cognitive or physical disabilities.
Patents and Standards:
World Intellectual Property (IP) Organization (WIPO):
Click here https://www.wipo.int/reference/en/
Intellectual Property Resource Reference Centre provides access to various intellectual property data collections currently hosted by the World Intellectual Property Organization. Access to the Digital Library is available to the general public free-of-charge.
Free Patents Online
Click here https://www.freepatentsonline.com/
Free Patents Online is a search engine, which helps in searching patents.
Click here http://www.indiapatents.org.in/db/db.htm
Indian Patent Database provides free online access to Ekaswa A & Ekaswa B databases. Gives information regarding patent applications filed in India as published in the issues of the Gazette of India (Part III, Section 2) from January 1995 onwards.
National Technical Information Service Reports [NTISR]
Click here https://www.ntis.gov/
National Technical Information Service Reports [NTISR] are available online with effect from 1990 to till date. Search facility is available to find out the reports in your subject areas of interest. Downloading of any document in electronic format is possible.
Open Access Directory:
OAJ Directory of Open Access Journals
Click here https://doaj.org/
DOAJ is a community-curated online directory that indexes and provides access to high quality, open access, peer-reviewed journals. DOAJ is independent. All funding is via donations, 40% of which comes from sponsors and 60% from members and publisher members. All DOAJ services are free of charge including being indexed in DOAJ. All data is freely available. DOAJ operates an education and outreach program across the globe, focusing on improving the quality of applications submitted.
DOAB Directory of Open Access Books
Click here https://www.doabooks.org/
The primary aim of DOAB is to increase discoverability of Open Access books. Academic publishers are invited to provide metadata of their Open Access books to DOAB. Metadata will be harvestable in order to maximize dissemination, visibility and impact. Aggregators can integrate the records in their commercial services and libraries can integrate the directory into their online catalogues, helping scholars and students to discover the books.
Open DOAR Directory of Open Access Repositories
Click here https://v2.sherpa.ac.uk/opendoar/
Open DOAR has opted to collect and provide information solely on sites that wholly embrace the concept of open access to full text resources that are of use to academic researchers. Thus sites where any form of access control prevents immediate access are not included: likewise sites that consist of metadata records only are also declined.
Download free eBooks and textbooks
Click here https://archive.org/
Internet Archive is a non-profit library of millions of free books, movies, software, music, websites, and more.
- 1) Who can access the library Services?
Students, Faculty, Visiting Faculty, Adjunct Faculty and Staff of SIT can access the SIT library services. Also other institute’s users of Symbiosis can refer the books of SIT Library in the Library Premises only. Identity card is mandatory to enter SIT Library.
Outside users who belong with other colleges apart from Symbiosis are allowed to refer the books inside the library premises. These users are requested to bring an official letter duly sign by their Librarian/Head of the Department/Guide/Principal and identity card of their college is mandatory to avail SIT services.
- 2) Can I bring the personal book in the library?
You can carry own books to the library by making necessary entries in daily log register.
- 3) How many books a member get issued?
Following are the details of books to each category of member
Sr. No Category of Member No of Books Period
- 4) What are the issue return timings in the library?
Days Library Reading Hall Issue-Return
Monday to Friday
9.00 am to 5.00 pm
9.00 am to 8.00 pm
9.00 am to 4.30 pm
9.00 am to 5.00 pm
9.00 am to 5.00 pm
9.00 am to 4.30 pm
- 5) What are the overdue charges against late return of the book?
Over dues, as laid down hereunder, shall be charged from the students if they fail to return the book(s) on or before the deadline as indicated on the Due-Date-Slip in the book
- 6) Fine will be charged including all Sundays and Holidays.
Rs.5.00 per book per day shall be charged
- 7) I have lost the library Book, What I require to do?
First you should immediately report to the circulation desk at the library. In case a book/magazine/Journal is lost; the borrower has to replace the same with the latest Edition/Version of the material. If the copy is out of print then the user has to pay the cost of the material along with the overdue amount of fine within 15 days from the reporting. Please download the form from the website and submit it duly filled to the Assistant Library In-charge.
- 8) Where can I make a suggestion to the library?
“Suggestion Box” placed at the entrance of the library where you can drop-in your valuable suggestion(s). You can also email the suggestions at firstname.lastname@example.org
- 9) How can I recommend a book for purchase in the Library?
Students can give their recommendations through the Web OPAC. Login with your PRN fill the form and submit it.
- 10) How can I access the E-Recourses?
As it is mentioned on the web site under the E-Resources. You can access these databases through the login credentials of SIU Central library Gateway Portal which is been issued to all the registered students of SIT. Those who don’t know the credentials can contact to the library. Only Symbiosis students and faculty can access these databases through their own login credentials.
The Library Advisory Committee of Symbiosis Institute of Technology has been reconstituted as under
|1||Dr. Ketan Kotecha||Director||Chairman|
|2||Dr. Arundhati Warke||Deputy Director, Academic||Member|
|3||Dr.Nitin Khedkar||Deputy Director, Administration||Member|
|4||Dr.Brajesh Pandey||Faculty In-Charge Library||Member|
|5||Dr. Meena Laad||Hod, Applied Science||Member|
|6||Dr. Kanchan Khare||Hod, Civil Engg.||Member|
|7||Dr. Deepali Vora||Hod, Comp.Sc./IT Engg.||Member|
|8||Dr. Anand Pandey||Hod, Mech. Engg.||Member|
|9||Dr. Pritesh Shah||Hod, E & TC. Engg.||Member|
|10||Dr. Swati Ahirrao||Hod, AIML Engg.||Member|
|11||Dr. Arun Kumar Bongale||Hod, Robotics Engg.||Member|
|12||Mr. Robert Rodrigues||Administrative Officer||Member|
|13||Aditya Desai||Student Representative||Member|
|14||Michela Michael DaSilva||Student Representative||Member|
|15||Mr. Vinay Shaligram||Library Incharge||Member|