Dr. Shraddha P. Phansalkar
Ph. D. (Symbiosis International (Deemed University) India, Associate Professor and Head, CS & IT department
Department of Computer Science and Engineering and Information Technology has state of the art labs, machines with high configuration and latest software required for teaching and research. The department endeavors to impart quality education to students in the areas of computer science and engineering and information technology. The programmes of the department includes an M.Tech. Programme in Computer science and Engineering with an intake of 24. The department has very competent faculty to teach advanced topics of cloud computing, software quality, cyber security, artificial intelligence and so in. The faculty is actively engaged in research and publications.
- Duration: Two years
- Intake: 24
Research Areas in Computer Science and Engineering
Big data Analytics, Artificial Intelligence & Machine Learning, Wireless Communications and Sensor Networks, Data Mining, Cognitive Intelligence, Cloud Computing, Internet of Things, Image Processing and Natural Language Processing (NLP), Mobile Robotics, Data privacy and security, Metaheuristics and optimization, Steganography.
Programme / Course Structure
Orientation and Pedagogy
a) Method of Instruction
M.Tech programmes have been designed to transform the students into competent professionals. The institute employs a very effective and interactive teaching-learning process using most recent teaching aids including multimedia. The curriculum has been developed considering the present and future needs of industry and higher education. Teachers prepare detailed presentations, lab manuals and course files to ensure the effectiveness of teaching-learning process. A salient feature of the curriculum is an Internship semester, totally devoted to carrying out projects in the industry. Students of all post graduate programmes spend an entire semester in industry, other organizations, renowned institutions and universities, both in India and abroad, as part of their curriculum. They are encouraged to undertake projects in various areas of the industry to augment their theoretical learning. The emphasis during the Internship is on exposing the students to real life problems in their chosen field of work and their solutions, using a systematic and logical approach employing latest tools, techniques and technologies. The Institute is making a conscious effort to shift from the traditional classroom teaching learning process to a problem based, project-based and scenario based teaching learning process. Students are given projects or problem statements right in the beginning of the semester and they undertake these projects either in groups or individually, depending on the nature of the project, and are guided by the subject teacher. Large, inter-disciplinary projects are also given and encouraged. For M. Tech courses, emphasis is given on the practical know-how and application of the subject matter and special emphasis is given on problem solving and self-learning.
b) Learning Beyond Classrooms
Students participate in technical fests, present papers in conferences and also undertake projects in Industry during internship to augment their classroom learning with learning outside the classrooms.
c) Industry Interface
It is necessary to give students an insight into the practical aspects of theory taught in the institute. The institute, right from its inception, has ensured industrial participation in curriculum development, guest lectures by experts from Industry, student trainings and internships. In addition to these, several industrial visits are also arranged for students in order to give them an exposure on the practical solutions and industrial environment.
d) Research and Development
SIU started Ph.D. programme in Engineering from the academic year 2010-2011. Presently 90 research scholars are pursuing their research from Faculty of Engineering. Research equipment and facilities have been established at SIT to carry out high quality basic and applied research. Faculty members send proposals to funding agencies for sponsored R&D projects in emerging areas of research. They also have a large number of publications in refereed journals and are actively engaged in publications. M.Tech students also get an opportunity to work on some sub- areas of larger research problems as their M.Tech projects and thesis. The institute regularly augments necessary equipment and facilities in the identified research areas.
Name of the Programme : Master of Technology (Computer Engineering -070143)
- GA1 PO1: Scholarship of Knowledge: Acquire in-depth knowledge of specific discipline or professional area, including wider and global perspective, with an ability to discriminate, evaluate, analyze and synthesize existing and new knowledge, and integration of the same for enhancement of knowledge
- GA1 PO2: Critical Thinking: Analyze complex engineering problems critically, apply independent judgement for synthesizing information to make intellectual and/or creative advances for conducting research in a wider theoretical, practical and policy context.
- GA4 PO3: Problem Solving: Think laterally and originally, conceptualize and solve engineering problems, evaluate a wide range of potential solutions for those problems and arrive at feasible, optimal solutions after considering public health and safety, cultural, societal and environmental factors in the core areas of expertise.
- GA1 PO4: Research Skill: Extract information pertinent to unfamiliar problems through literature survey and experiments, apply appropriate research methodologies, techniques and tools, design, conduct experiments, analyze and interpret data, demonstrate higher order skill and view things in a broader perspective, contribute individually/in group(s) to the development of scientific/technological knowledge in one or more domains of engineering.
- GA4 PO5: Usage of modern tools: Create, select, learn and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools, including prediction and modelling, to complex engineering activities with an understanding of the limitations.
- GA2 PO6 : Collaborative and Multidisciplinary work: Possess knowledge and understanding of group dynamics, recognize opportunities and contribute positively to collaborative-multidisciplinary scientific research, demonstrate a capacity for self-management and teamwork, decision-making based on open-mindedness, objectivity and rational analysis in order to achieve common goals and further the learning of themselves as well as others.
- GA3 PO7: Project Management and Finance: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of engineering and management principles and apply the same to one’s own work, as a member and leader in a team, manage projects efficiently in respective disciplines and multidisciplinary environments after consideration of economic and financial factors.
- GA2 PO8: Communication: Communicate with the engineering community, and with society at large, regarding complex engineering activities confidently and effectively, such as, being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation by adhering to appropriate standards, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions.
- GA4 PO9: Life-long Learning:Recognise the need for and have the preparation and ability to engage in life-long learning independently, with a high level of enthusiasm and commitment to improve knowledge and competence continuously.
- GA2 PO10: Ethical Practices and Social Responsibility: Acquire professional and intellectual integrity, professional code of conduct, ethics of research and scholarship, consideration of the impact of research outcomes on professional practices and an understanding of responsibility to contribute to the community for sustainable development of society.
Program Specific Outcomes:
GA4 PSO1: Engg and Practical knowledge: To apply the concepts of computer engineering and practical knowledge in analysis, design and development of computing systems and applications to multi-disciplinary problems.
GA4 PSO2: Cutting Edge Technologies: To provide a concrete foundation to the students in the cutting edge areas of Computer Science Engineering and further help them in excelling in the chosen areas of advanced computer science areas like Machine Learning, Algorithms, Data Science, Internet of Things, Computing and Data Security and privacy.